A Stupid "Argument" Against Free Will
People love to argue for the sake of arguing. Obviously Jonathon MS Pearce didn't have a choice but to write his tripe about free will- LoL!
Is Society Accepting That Free Will Is an Illusion?
This is a joke of an article. He sez the following is evidence against free will:
1. We can predict criminality based on children’s ability at age three to show fear conditioning (that is, if they show no fear responses at age three, they appear to be less likely to worry about consequences and end up being more likely to be convicted of a crime some twenty years later).That would mean that the people who didn't fall into criminality but met that criteria would have free will.
2. We can predict achievements (SAT scores, life outcomes, body mass index, and the like) of adolescents based on whether they could delay their gratification at ages five and six (whether they can put off eating one cookie now to get two cookies when the experimenter returns).That would mean that the people who didn't fall into the prediction but met that criteria would have free will.
3. Certain autistic people are less likely to believe in God than neuro-typical people, and men less likely than women;
4. We know that two-thirds of students who cannot read proficiently by the fourth grade will end up in jail or on welfare.
5. We can predict who one will vote for based on one’s threshold of disgust.
6. We can show that priming can heavily influence one’s “choices” in any given situation.
7. There are umpteen genetic markers for behavior (such as psychopathic and sociopathic behavior) and so on, ad nauseam.All these say is that some people are predisposed to certain things. Perhaps they are INFLUENCED by their genetics and/ or upbringing.
Free will is predicated on CHOICES. Choices are predicated on ATTRACTIONS.
Free will is the lynchpin of our society. Our laws depend upon it.
The following are articles supporting free will: Free Will Lives!
I would love to see Pearce debate Egnor on free will. That will never happen as Pearce is a wanker who can only write for the chorus.